Saturday, April 21, 2012

Mint Chocolate Chip Cake


This cake was published in Cook's Country Magazine, February/March 2011 issue and I saved the issue for this cake alone.  I finally got around to making this for a celebration worthy of such a process~ our girls' birthday!


The steps in which the cake batter is made are something I had never done before and I adapted them slightly.  I also frosted the cake with a Chocolate Malt Buttercream that I've used several times now.  At my girl's request to have a minty cake, I added chopped Andes mints on top.  The mini chocolate chips on the outside of the cake were a little over the top and could have been omitted.  I suggest doing one or the other, but not both mini chips and Andes mints.  This is the last piece standing a couple days after the party. 


The white cake recipe is one of the most tender and light, but moist white cakes I've ever made or tasted.  Know that this won't have the same texture as a box cake, but for homemade, it's a home-run.  I'm looking forward to trying it again as a plain white cake.   


Mint Chocolate Chip Cake
recipe by Cook's Country Feb/Mar 2011, Classic White Layer Cake by The Complete ATK Cookbook, both adapted by Stella B's Kitchen
printer friendly version


For the Classic White Layer Cake:
2 1/4 cups cake flour (I used 2 cups flour plus 1/4 cup cornstarch as a substitute)
1 cup whole milk (I used 1/2 & 1/2, that's what I had)
6 large egg whites
2 tsp vanilla 

1 1/2 tsp mint extract
5 drops green food coloring

1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
12 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed, slightly softened
1 cup mini chocolate chips


Heat oven to 350 degrees with oven racks in center.  Grease two 8-9 inch cake pans.  Line bottoms with parchment.  Whisk milk, egg whites, both extracts and food coloring in a small bowl.


In a stand mixer combine flour (and cornstarch), sugar, baking powder and salt.  Using a pastry blender, cut in butter pieces until it resembles coarse crumbs, like you would for a pie crust.  With a paddle attachment, beat in all but 1/2 cup of the egg-milk mixture.  Increase speed to medium and beat until smooth, light and fluffy, about 1 minute.  Reduce speed to low and slowly beat in mini chocolate chips and remaining 1/2 cup of milk mixture until batter looks slightly curdled, about 15 seconds.  Give the batter one final stir with a rubber spatula and scrape batter evenly into the two baking pans.  Gently tap pans.  Bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean with few crumbs, 20-25 minutes.  *mine took a bit longer, so you may need to watch your oven.


Cool cakes 10 minutes in pans.  Run a knife around the edges, turn out cake and place on oven rack parchment paper side down.  Cool completely.  Remove parchment before assembling.


For the Chocolate Malt Buttercream:
recipe by Southern Living 2009, adapted by TK member MissAmy
1 stick butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup malted milk powder
2 cups powdered sugar
7 Tbsp milk
1 cup mini chocolate chips pressed on outside of cake, if desired


Beat butter and vanilla.  Add cocoa, malted milk powder and powdered sugar; lightly mix.  Add milk a tablespoon at a time and mix until smooth.  


Place first cake domed side (or top side down) on the cake stand or plate to create a flat surface for the next layer.  Frost the top of the cake, not too thick.  Place second cake, bottom down, on first cake.  Frost with remaining buttercream.  Top with chopped Andes mints, if desired.






Sharing with:   ShouldBeMoppingTheFloorFlourMeWithLoveMakingTheWorldCuter,  CrazyForCrust, TheWinthropChronicles, LadyBugBlessings,  NaptimeCreations, AdventuresOfADIYMom, Mandy'sRecipeBox, CraftyConfessionsCraftyBlogStalker, RaeGunRamblingsLadyBehindTheCurtainGIngerSnapCraftsLaughLove&CraftPolkaDotsOnParadeSomethingSwankyHappyHourProjectsWeLikeToLearnAsWeGoMichelle'sTastyCreationsYesterdayOnTuesdayOopseyDaisyTuesdayTimeOut BubblyNatureCreations, WhipperBerryDwellOnJoySimplySweetHome TheCountryCook4LittleFergusonsMeetPennyTheBetterBaker,  TheSunflowerSupperClubBaconTimeWithTheHungryHypo,  NaptimeCraftersLittleBeckyHomecky  

14 comments:

  1. Looks like you got your baking mojo back! Beautiful cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cake
    I really like playing with colors, and adding mint flavors - great!!
    Love this cake

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I found your blog! You have amazing recipes! I can't believe this cake exists! My favorite ice cream made into a cake...does it get any better?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my. Your cake looks fantastic and your recipe sounds gorgeous! The frosting looks so thick and just yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I *LOVE* mint chocolate chip! Pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so pretty! It looks just like a bowl of ice cream. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks absolutely delicious....chocolate mint is my favorite dessert flavor combination! Just yummy. Thanks for sharing. hugs, mb

    p.s. This caught my eye over at Reasons to Skip the Housework linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This cake is gorgeous! I love the color and the pieces of Andes on the top.

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That look sooo yummy! I love mint. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG I'm drooling! That looks so good!! I would love for you to link it up at Fantabulous Friday#10 going on now. By linking up, you are entering to win free ad space for the month of May as well! I hope to see you there!

    http://www.littlebeckyhomecky.com/2012/04/fantabulous-friday10/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mint and chocolate are one of my all-time favorite food combinations! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds delicious! I love mint and chip. I'm featuring you today on What I Learned Wednesday! http://weliketolearnaswego.blogspot.com/2012/05/features-and-adjusting-to-new-place.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my yummy heaven! Thanks for sharing on Blog Stalking Thursday. You have been featured with this week's party. Don't forget to grab a feature button and wear it proudly!

    http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/2012/05/blog-stalking-thursday-39.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit Stella B's Kitchen and for sharing your thoughts and recipe results here in the comment section! I look forward to reading them!! I would love to respond personally to every one, but as a busy mom, I generally respond here on the blog rather than email. Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...